The Bishop Timon-St. Jude High School Board of Trustees (Buffalo, New York) is seeking a motivated educator to lead the staff and ensure quality academic programming for the school’s almost two hundred high school students. I am writing to bring this excellent leadership opportunity to your attention or to the attention of others to whom you may forward a copy of this letter.
Bishop Timon-St. Jude High School is a Roman Catholic, independent college-preparatory school committed to serving young men of diverse backgrounds in the Franciscan tradition. The Board of Trustees is committed to educational excellence and a constant pursuit of distinction as it dedicates itself to the development of each student. Faithful to the Franciscan values of inclusiveness and respect for all, Bishop Timon-St. Jude High School serves as an academic and spiritual community which endeavors to educate young men to be responsible Christian citizens through rigorous academic programs, opportunities for individual growth and service to others in local as well as global communities.
The Board of Trustees has adopted the following aims and objectives which guide the work of the school:
▪ To develop a Christ like spirituality which is relevant to the student’s individual life in which he will find a means to recognize all people as brothers and sisters and the need to assist them regardless of race, creed, color, or sexuality.
▪ To motivate and encourage each student to be a responsible citizen of the school, community and global community while maintaining good order so that the learning process is not deterred.
▪ To encourage each student to manifest the school’s values through a life of service, equity, and citizenship.
▪ To provide a challenging curriculum for all students, and one that is adaptable to current educational concepts.
▪ To administer an inclusive, technologically integrated educational program while preparing students to be active participants in servicing local and global communities.
▪ To provide meaningful extracurricular activities that will have a positive effect on the academic, social, cultural, and physical development of the individual student.
▪ To provide counseling services which encourage all students to make sound, independent decisions in their academic, social and personal pursuits.
▪ To provide, through the Campus Ministry and all Academic Departments, opportunities for students to strengthen their moral character.
▪ To provide awareness that the physical body and soul are united and instill fundamental concepts of physical and mental health that will procure for the individual a lasting appreciation of healthful living.
▪ To provide a safe and secure environment for all students.
The Principal serves as the educational leader of the school and is expected to manage, evaluate and supervise effective and clear procedures for its operation and functioning in a safe, orderly and traditional Catholic learning environment. Achieving academic excellence requires that the Principal works collaboratively to direct and nurture all members of the staff and to communicate effectively with students and parents. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for scheduling, curriculum and staff development, extracurricular activities, and other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
It expected that the Principal will establish a professional rapport with students and with staff that earns their respect and will always display the highest ethical and professional behavior when working with all stakeholders. As with positions such as this, the Principal will be expected to maintain visibility in the school and the community with students, teachers, parents and the Board of Trustees and use effective and appropriate written, oral and presentation skills when addressing all stakeholders.
The recently adopted position description includes sample job functions and responsibilities in the areas of Instructional Program; Student Achievement and Student Support; Campus Ministry; Staff Recruitment, Orientation, Supervision and Development; and Compliance and Reporting. The Principal reports to the Board of Trustees and supervises all teachers, most support staff and the Director of Athletics.
The minimum qualifications for the position include a Master’s Degree; eligibility for New York State certification in secondary teaching and school administration; and a minimum of five years administrative and/or secondary school classroom experience, preferably in a secondary Catholic school.
This is a contract position with the Board of Trustees willing to offer an initial three year employment agreement with an expectation that the successful candidate will make a three year commitment to the position. The salary and benefits will be regionally competitive and will be based upon qualifications and experience. Interested persons should forward a letter of interest, resume and three letters of reference by no later than Friday, June 1 to:
Howard S. Smith, Ed.D.
Howard S. Smith Consulting Services, LLC
70 Emerald Trail
Williamsville, New York 14221
The anticipated start date for the position is on or about August 1. Thank you for your assistance in alerting educators to this excellent leadership opportunity.
Howard S. Smith, Ed.D.